Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Planting Seeds With Daddy


Jenny has been asking us for at least two weeks if we could help her plant some seeds and flowers. We thought it was a great idea seeing as how we are going to be living in this house for at least another year (oh by the way, we're not moving - but that's for another post) and our front yard has been looking HORRIBLE! So, today was the big day.

When Jenny came over on Sunday she and I went to Target that afternoon. Since her Daddy had given her a few dollars to spend, she was able to buy something. She had $3.00 to be exact. So, as we were walking through the dollar section in Target (so that she could get the most for her money), she found what she wanted. You'll never guess what she picked....wildflower seed mix! She also picked out one of those little tiny pots that comes with the seeds and soil - it's called a Flower Kit. Anyhow, that's what she picked out and later when she saw her Dad she asked him to help her with it. He told her that he would help her plant some seeds and flowers on Tuesday when he was off. Since then she's probably asked me about 1,000 times when it would be Tuesday. Literally. So last night before she went to bed, I told her that in the morning (this morning) that it would be Tuesday. She was so excited! So excited in fact, that when she came in our room this morning she was already dressed with her hair and teeth brushed, complete with shoes and all. Ha!

So we all got up, ate breakfast, and went to the store to get some things for her to plant. She insisted on buying seeds rather than the flowers that have already grown from seeds, even after I explained that seeds weren't really a good idea because it's too late in the season for seeds. But, you see, she's only four, and I swear she gets her stubborness from her father. So, we ended up buying mostly seeds, two hanging plants, and some flowers that are white that I don't remember the name of.



When we came home, we decided to get right to work. Actually, Jaime and Jenny decided to get right to work as I went into the house to clean and work on laundry. However, somehow I got roped into helping with the planting process. Actually, I got roped into doing the hardest parts, and Jenny and Jaime did the easy stuff. You see, while Jaime was cutting the grass, this is what I had to deal with.....

Yep, that's right. The "flower bed" was covered with weeds and rocks!



Luckily, I just rolled it up. I did have to put the rocks into buckets though. Otherwise it was too heavy to lift!



See what I mean by I did the hard part?  I nearly busted my butt picking out rocks and pulling up the ground, and then when it was all said and done Jaime and Jenny wet the ground, planted seeds, and then watered the seeds. How unfair! =)








The finished product.....

Ta Da! Hanging baskets....


And a big, sloppy mess that looks like a four year old did it. Oh yeah, a four year old did do it. Ha!

Oh well, as you can see this is a work in progress. As with everything, there is a good side and a bad side to this experience. Good side: Because it is a work in progress, it will give Jenny and us more oppertunities to plant seeds and flowers - and to spend more time outdoors. Bad side: Our yard really doesn't look much better. In fact, now it looks like we made a pitiful attempt at being a gardener. Ha! Moral of the story: When you let a four year old (and her father) do any kind of planting, you'd better let them do it in the backyard. Otherwise, just do it yourself. =)

Alright so, after pretending to be gardeners it was time for Jenny's second day of swimming lessons. Here's how she did.....





She did pretty amazing if you ask me. Look at my big girl, she's gonna be a great swimmer! I know I am biased, but she did the best out of all the kids in her class. I couldn't be more proud of her! I can't wait until Thursday when Jaime will be off so that he can go with us. I know he'll be amazed at how well she's doing. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails