Friday, July 30, 2010

Back To School

Can you believe it's already July 30?? Summer has FLOWN by - I can't believe it! School starts here in a little more than a week. That's something else I can't believe....Jenny will be in kindergarten this year!! Wow. It doesn't seem like it should be that time already.

Last week I printed her school supply list off of her school's website and yesterday Jaime and I went to pick up the stuff on her list. We got everything on the list except for the bookbag, because we want to wait until she can go with us to pick out her own bag. Plus there are always TONS of people on the school supply aisles, and it's hard enough for me to squeeze past everyone to get to the things we need, it would have been even harder with Jenny following behind me.



School supply lists are basically the same from when I was in school except that I don't remember hand sanitizer, printer paper, or Ziploc baggies. I've also noticed that schools have become more specific about which brands to buy. For example, the list specifically requested Crayola crayons, and Elmer's glue. Not a big deal, but I don't remember the brand being important before. Although I do have to admit that I am picky about which brand of crayons I use - I prefer Crayola. Ha!



This is our second year buying school supplies, and I have to say that I love it! I was thinking it would be chore-like, and more of a hassle than anything. I was wrong. I think it's so much fun to go pick out all of the supplies she'll use during the school year. I'm sure by the time she's in 5th grade and Aiden is in 1st grade I will be tired of buying them, but for now I enjoy it. Especially kindergarten supplies.


For example, the EXPO dry erase markers. I can just picture our little Jenny up at the dry erase board writing something on it. When I was little I loved writing on the board! I'm sure Jenny will like it too, she loves for everyone to watch her and see what it is she is drawing/writing.


Scissors and glue!?! Our Jenny?? Using scissors and glue?! Oh. My. Goodness. Up until recently we've never let her use scissors. We've always told her that she had to let Daddy or I cut it for her because it was dangerous and she might cut herself. Then I started thinking about how she was going to be starting kindergarten and about all the fun things she would do. Then I realized that those fun things include using scissors and glue. Glue? No big deal. Scissors? She had never done that before. So, I set out on a mission. A mission to prepare Jenny for kindergarten.


So we bought Jenny and extra set of scissors and glue to let her practice with at home. Aren't those the cutest little scissors ever?? I've always told Jenny that I want to make sure she is prepared for everything. I never want her to walk into a situation and not know what to expect or how to handle it. I know that at some point there will come a situation that she isn't prepared for, but I'm hoping that at that time she'll be ready to figure it out without my help. I feel the same way about kindergarten - I want to make sure she is prepared. We've been practicing letting her carry her own plate at home or her own tray at a buffet restaurant (to prepare her for lunch in the cafeteria), we've made sure she knows our address (in case she has issues with the bus she rides), she knows our phone number (in case she needs to call us from the school), we've read the bus safety book about 1000 times, and mostly we've tried to teach her to be sure of herself. We want her to know that she will make mistakes, and that is ok - as long as she tried her best. We want her to know that it's ok to be herself and that she doesn't have to try to be like anyone else. We want her to know that she may get hurt (physically or emotionally), but whatever it is will pass and she will learn from it. Most of all we want her to know that we will love her no matter what, and nothing she can do will ever change that. In our eyes she and Aiden are as close to perfect as it gets, and we'll always love them.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are doing an excellent job of preparing Jenny for kindergarten! That's more than most of the parents of my students do. Her teacher will thank you for teaching her how to use the glue and scissors. You might want to practice writing her name with her too.

    As for the supply list...we ask for certain brands of things only because they tend to last longer and work better than others. Although, I don't understand the copy paper? That's odd, but I'm sure they have a purpose for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog. :)
    You have a beautiful family! How exciting about kindergarten! Enjoy this special time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment. Isn't Jenna great for doing this comment challenge?! I follow her on twitter and have gotten to know a little bit better - she's fun. I'd love to meet some of my blogland buddies in person and hang out. Good luck to Jenny when she starts Kindgergarten! It looks shes off to a good start with all of those supplies. I bought what Madison needed yesterday (minus a few things) and am broke as a joke now and still have clothes and shoes left to buy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!

    Kelly - She can already write her name really well! I'm not sure what the copy paper is for either, but like you said I'm sure they have a purpose for it.

    Kimberley - Thanks, I try to enjoy every second!

    Beth - Yes, I love the idea of the comment challenge! I've found a lot of great blogs through it. I would love to meet some of my blog friends too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for coming by my blog, hope you will stop back by. Looks like you ahd fun shopping...and how wonderful to start preparing early for Kindergarten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun to get ready for school! I prefer Crayola myself too. ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving a comment! Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails