Monday, August 30, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes: Chapters 21-35

Hello! The following post is my response to the discussion questions for the Book Beginnings and Bookends book club hosted by Erin and Rachel. If you haven't joined yet then you really should! We are about half way through our first book now, but you could definitely join us for our second book that we'll be starting sometime in September.



Are you enjoying this book as much as I am? Honestly, I have already finished it and now Jaime is reading it. Ha! It was such a great story though, and I can't wait until the next book. In the mean time, I am reading "Eat, Pray, Love" and I hope to read "The Help" after that. This book club has really brought back my love of reading and I am enjoying every minute of it!


1. Do you think Tim is the one sending the money?
Honestly, I have no idea. It seems like he could be the one sending it because we're fairly certain he sent it before, but how in the world does he know where CeeCee/Eve is at this point? Also I think that by sending her the money he is putting himself at risk of being found. It would also put CeeCee at risk of being found and connected to the crime as well. However, seeing as how he is probably the one who sent CeeCee the $5,000 before he is probably the one sending money now. Maybe he feels guilty for what he has done to CeeCee or even feels partly responsible for this baby she is now having to raise.




2. So far, there's been a lot of discussion on CeeCee/Eve and her choices. What choice(s) would you make differently from her?
First of all I think I would have had to confess about Cory and what happened to Geniveve from the beginning. Secondly I think I would have had to be more honest with Jack. Maybe not right away of course, but eventually I'd have to let him know. Or at least tell him that Cory is adopted and not actually her biological child. I wouldn't have been able to keep up the charade of going to doctor's visits alone.



3. What do you like about Jack? Are there things about him that you don't like?
I really like him! I think Jack is just what CeeCee/Eve needs in her life. He is upbeat, funny, and seems like a genuinely good person. He is very different from Tim and that is a good thing. I also like how well he interacts with Cory. She kind of gives him a hard time at first, but he keeps trying and eventually she starts to come around. The only thing I have a problem with is how willing he is to depend on his parents his whole life.



4. What are the differences between CeeCee/Eve's relationship with Tim and Eve's relationship with Jack?
When CeeCee was with Tim, she was young and inexperienced. She jumped into a relationship with a man much older than her for all the wrong reasons. She was too naive to see that he didn't really care about her, he was only using her. With Jack it is much different. Not only is she now more experienced in life and relationships, but she has also had a bad experience in her relationship with Tim and that makes her more cautious. She is also several years older and has been raising a child for the past few years, and that makes her more mature. She was essentially a child before, and now she is an adult.






5. Do you think Eve is to blame for Cory's fears? What could she do, specifically, to help Cory feel like less of an outsider?
Yes, definitely. She is way too overprotective of Cory. They have been through a lot, but she is going to have to let her take risks and fall down sometimes too. That's an important part of being a kid and growing up. It's hard for any parent to let their child do that, especially one who has been through what CeeCee has been through, but she needs to do it.
I think she is doing the right thing by sending her to a private school. There will probably be kids there who she can better relate to.




6. Do you think Eve appropriately answered Cory's questions about her father? Do you think Cory will question her father more as she grows older?
I think that she answered them the best that she knew how. She obviously doesn't want to answer those types of questions, but can you really blame her? She wants to be able to be honest with her daughter, but the effects her honesty would have on Cory would be devestating. For now Cory is satisfied with Eve's answers, but I think she will definitely have more questions to come.

3 comments:

  1. I think Eve should not have made up another lie and lied to Cory. Nor did I think she was being fair to Jack, a great guy, when she married him without telling him the truth so he knew what he was getting into. I do give her credit for building a new life for herself and getting her degree. I hate though that she is treating Jack like Tim treated her. Jack really deserves better!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book club has really brought back my love of reading too! Loved your responses to this section of the book. I am having a hard time with this other comment though -- it's hard for me to think that Jack deserves better than Eve. I think they are a perfect match for each other.. and poor Eve.. she really is a sweet woman who loves Jack.. it just so happens part of her life is a lie.. I don't know, that sounds ridiculous, but I don't like that someone thinks Jack deserves better - that just makes me sad for Eve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with #2. How can you not have your husband come with you to the Dr. visit's? It is a slippery slope with her now.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails