Monday, August 23, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes: Chapters 11-20

This post is in response to Erin and Rachel's book club, Book Beginnings and Book Ends. We are currently reading The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain. These responses are for chapters 11-20. I am already almost finished with the book, and so far it is great! I would definitely reccomend it to any of you out there who are looking for a good book to read!





1. Where do you think Tim and Marty are at this point in the story?
Honestly, who knows?? Hopefully they are out negotiating with the Governor just as they said they would. For poor CeeCee's sake I hope they didn't decide to back out of their plan and leave her to pick up the pieces of this mess that they've made.



2. What were your thoughts as CeeCee was helping Genevieve deliver her baby?
"WHAT IS GOING ON? CEECEE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DELIVER A BABY!! TAKE HER TO THE HOSPITAL!!" This part of the storyline seemed so intense to me, and I was definitely flipping through the pages much faster during this part. My heart was beating faster, my palms got a little sweaty - I can't imagine what it must have been like for CeeCee. I just kept anticipating something bad to happen, but I couldn't picture CeeCee doing anything bad to her (on purpose).


3. After Genevieve died, what would you have done with her baby if you had been in CeeCee's shoes?
I would have called the police and turned myself in. CeeCee got wrapped up in a crazy plan that she didn't know a lot of the details of. I'm not defending what she did, but I think this is when she could have redeemed herself. There is no way I could live my life knowing that I had essentially stolen another woman's child. Yes, that woman is dead now, but Cory's father is still very much alive and should be with his daughter.

4. Why do you think CeeCee/Eve is still holding onto hope that Tim will come for her?
Because like most 16 year olds, CeeCee truly believes that Tim loves her. She is expecting him to come to her rescue and save her from the uncertainty she is facing. With all that CeeCee has been through, losing her mom and being in foster homes all her life, I think she is just looking for someone to love and for that person to love her in return. Right now she believes that Tim really does love her, the way that she loves him.

5. How do you think Eve will establish her new identity in Virginia?
I think her first step should be to get a job so that she can have her new name documented somehow and so that she will have some sort of income and a seemingly normal life. After living in foster homes all her life and essentially having to start over each time, I think this is something that may come easily to her. I'm hoping that she will see that she doesn't need to depend on any man (especially Tim), and that she can do it on her own.

6. What do you think of CeeCee/Eve now after she has gone through with the kidnapping, the delivery of the baby, the escape, and the relocation?
At this point in the story, I really like CeeCee. She has definitely made some bad decisions, and really needs to think things through a little better, but all in all I like her. I feel horrible for her though because she seems like such a good person with such a big heart, but every person she has ever really cared about has been stripped out of her life. Now she has Cory, and I think this is her chance to start her life over and to finally be happy.
I do have to touch on the part where CeeCee thought Cory cut her hand on CeeCee's hair. Um...DUMB! Up until that point I was so involved and interested in the book and then....BAM! I literally almost started laughing out loud! I'm not sure if it was just poor writing, or if it was to show just how immature CeeCee is. Either way, it seemed a little out of place and I think it could have been written better. Other than that though, I am loving the book so far!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails