Monday, August 16, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes Chapters 1-10

I'm sure many of you bloggers out there a very familiar with Erin from Blue Eyed Bride. Her blog is one of my daily reads, and is also one of my most favorites. Recently, she and another blogger, Rachel, started a book club called Book Beginnings and Bookends. I've always loved reading and also always wanted to join a book club. So when I saw that Erin and Rachel were starting an online blogging book club, I had to join!

Our first book to read is The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain. This was our first week, and we were supposed to read chapters 1-10. It was a book that I had never about, and also written by an author whom I had never even heard of. I had to keep myself busy reading other books up until the first official day the book club started because I was so tempted to start it early! Come August 9th though I dove right in! I liked the book from the very beginning, and I've really had a hard time putting it down. Before I started reading this book I had convinced myself that between being a mom and having a house to take care of, I didn't have time for reading. I still really don't, but I've been able to find ways to make time for it now. Let's just say that I've found myself up way past my bedtime because I'm unable to put the book down!



Here are my answers to the discussion questions for the first week, chapters 1-10:

1. What was your first impression of Tim?
 At first I was very skeptical and suspicious of Tim. I mean, why would someone Tim's age be so interested in a 16 year old? Especially because in the book it describes Tim as being very handsome, right of the bat I was thinking he must be a womanizer.

Then later, $5000 just shows up for her and (we think) it's from Tim. That seems a little odd if you ask me. First of all, where did he get all that money? Secondly, why would he just give it to CeeCee? To me he seems like a perfect example of "too good to be true". Yea, sure, we think he gave her $5000, but is it really worth having to "pay" him back?

Now I'm definitely wondering what his intentions are with CeeCee.

2. If you were in CeeCee's position, would you be willing to help your boyfriend in the way that she is willing to help Tim?
Definitely not! I am all for helping out someone who is in need, but if that help comes in the form of breaking the law then you're outta` luck. Plus, it's just not me. I'm not a law breaker, nor have I ever been. I can't believe that CeeCee would be either! My first impression of her was totally different than how she is turning out to be.

3. Why do you think CeeCee is so eager to please Tim?
Because she's 16! This is her first relationship, she is very naive about dating at this point. Plus, CeeCee's mother died when she was very young. She has been in and out of foster home after foster home since then. Of course she is looking for someone to please! I think CeeCee is afraid if she disappoints Tim then he will leave her and she'll be alone again.

4. Who do you think has it harder? Tim or CeeCee?
This question is a toughie. I'd say they have both had difficult lives and have both had to deal with a lot. CeeCee has had to deal with her mother passing away and Tim has had to deal with the incarceration of his sister. If I had to pick one who has it harder though, than I'd have to say that it's probably CeeCee. CeeCee has been an orphan since she was a preteen and has had to work at a diner and live with a roommate just to make ends meet. While Tim has only been on his own for a few years. His dad also left him with a house and money.

5. What character trait(s) about CeeCee stuck out the most to you in these 10 chapters?
First of all I have noticed that she is very naive, but she is also very loyal. She is naive because she is willing to do whatever it takes to make it work with Time, even though it is very obvious (at least to me) that he is only using her in his kidnapping scheme. However, she is also very loyal and even though she seems to know what she is doing is wrong, she sticks to her word.

6. Do you think CeeCee is as mature as she seems?
I think CeeCee is mature in some ways, but immature in others. First of all, she has been taking care of herself for a while now, so it is obvious she is mature in that sense. However, I'm afraid that without her mother's guidance, she hasn't learned how to make responsible decisions. I think that is why she is so willing to help Tim with the kidnapping and to take his word that everything will be ok and that they will be able to see each other afterwards.

1 comment:

  1. Great answers to the questions. It’s been so fun going around and reading everyone’s take on the book. Happy reading!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails