Monday, September 13, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes: Chapters 50-71

This post is in response to the book club, Book Beginnings and Bookends, hosted by Erin and Rachel. We just finished up reading The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain. I actually finished the book weeks ago, and I am thrilled to finally be able to share the end of the book with everyone. It was such a great story, and definitely a book I would reccommend to anyone out there who is looking for a good read!



If you haven't already joined our book club, now would be a great time! Soon we will be starting our 2nd book. There is a poll up on the book club blog where you can vote for the book you'd like to read next.





1. At the end we find out Tim was sending Cory money because he thought she could be his daughter since he was having an affair with Genevieve. Did you see this coming?

Somewhat. I definitely figured that it had been Tim sending the money. We basically knew it was him who sent CeeCee the $5,000 in the beginning of the book, so I think it just seemed like it had to be him sending the money now too. However, I didn't see the part about him having an affair with Genevieve and Cory possibly being his coming! I was a little shocked by that part, but really at that point in the story it was hard to be shocked by anything. I think it was a little admirable of him to send money to a child who could have possibly been his, but I don't think that makes up for the situation he helped to put CeeCee in, and now Cory in too.




2. By the end of the story, what were your feelings about Eve? How had they changed since the beginning?
In the beginning of the story I thought CeeCee was a young, slightly immature, and very naive. She also seemed to be fairly brave and strong, especially to have been able to have dealt with the kidnapping and everything that followed it the way that she did. Overall my feelings about her haven't changed too much. In the beginning I felt bad for her because her mother had died and she had been in and out of foster homes. When she got involved with Tim, I continued to feel bad for her because it was obvious to me that he was taking advantage of her. When the truth finally came out, I felt horrible for her because her whole life was put at risk, and she was facing lots of jail time. At the end of the story, I still feel bad for her. I feel like she has spent the majority of her life having to deal with problems. Whether it be the death of her mother, a manipulative boyfriend, or having her whole world turned upside down, she has constantly had something to deal with or to worry about. I feel like she hasn't had a chance to really enjoy life or to enjoy being a mother, and that really devestates me for her.




3. Were you happy with the way President Russel treated Cory?
I felt like he came on a little too strong. Then again, he probably figured Cory would have been a lot like her sister, Vivian. Geneiveve and Vivian are really all he had to compare her to, especially since they were her real family. I'm sure he didn't mean any harm, he just didn't know Cory. He didn't know about all her fears and her insecurities. He had been missing his daughter for 20 years, and now here she was. Of course he felt like he needed to make up for the time he had missed. I felt like it was a little unfair for him to be so frustrated wth Cory, she was only trying to protect the only mother she had ever known. I was amazed though that he didn't push for life in prison for Eve. I thought that to be very admirable, and only showed how much this child (Cory) meant to him - even if he had just met her.








4. If you were in Cory's shoes and had just found out all of this about the woman who raised you and who you believed to be your mother, how would you react? Would you forgive?
I couldn't ever imagine this happening to me. It would all seem so unreal, like a dream. Obviously at first I would be in shock, and probably not want to see or speak to anyone. Once the inital shock wore off though I would have lots of questions. I don't think I would want to meet my biological family right away. They would take some getting used to, that's for sure. Eventually I think I would have to forgive though, especially in this situation. It may have taken a while to get to that point, but biological or not, she would still be the woman who raised me - and that makes her my mother.






5. In your mind, how does this story end? Do they all live happily ever after? Does Cory go on having relationships with her old family and her new family?
I think they lived as happily as they could have. I'm sure at first things were very strange, especially for Cory. I think that Cory had relationships with both families afterwards. I think she would have remained closer to the family who had raised her, but I'm sure she had a relationship with her biological family too.








6. How do you think Cory has changed throughout the story? Have your feelings about her changed?
I think she has come to realize just how much Eve, her mother, really does care about her. I think that she sees now that Eve was only trying to protect her. Whether she went about it the right way or not, her motives were still the same. I think she finally understands why her mother felt the need to protect her so much - she was scared Cory would be taken away from her. Back when Cory had moved out and was living with her boyfriend, I thought she was being a brat. Now, I think more highly of her. Just like CeeCee/Eve, she too had a horrible situation to deal with that matured her and changed her life forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails