Monday, September 6, 2010

The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes: Chapters 36-50

This post is in response to the Book Beginnings and Book End book club hosted by Erin and Rachel. We are reading Diane Chamberlain's "The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes". I must say that I already finished the book, and I loved it!

I though these chapters were the most suspenseful thus far! I had a difficult time stopping at chapter 50, and I'm pretty sure I just kept reading and ended up finishing the book in the same night. Ha!




1. Have your feelings about Tim changed through out this last section of chapters?
Yes and no. I still think he was wrong for involving CeeCee in his plan, and for being so dishonest with her. I do think it is admireable though that he hasn't mentioned CeeCee. He could have thrown her under the bus and not been sentenced with murder. I guess he has some good qualities about him, or maybe this whole experience has matured him and taught him a lesson.



2. Do you agree with Cory and her behavior as an adult and her life with Ken? Is she justified in cutting her mother and father out of her life?
Heck no! I am so irritated with Cory right now. She may not really be Eve's daughter, but she sure is acting a lot like how CeeCee did in the beginning of this book with all the dumb decisions she is making. I understand that she would want to get away from her mother to become her own person, but letting her boyfriend brainwash her is not the way to do it! If she wants to find herself then she is going to have to learn how to stand on her own two feet. I also want to mention that I was totally disgusted by the amount of disrespect she and her boyfriend showed Eve and Jack when they were in their home! It's one thing for Cory to act that way, but it was totally innappropriate for her boyfriend to act that way!


3. At what point do you think Cory decided to spend less time with her mother?
I think this all started back when Cory wanted to know more about her father and her father's family. Eve wouldn't really answer her questions, and I think that made Cory start to trust her mother less and less. I think that was when she noticed that all of her fears and insecurities were caused by her mother and that made her want to get away from her. It's just so sad though because Eve really does love Cory, and all she wants is for Cory to love her too. It is really upsetting to read about how their relationship has become.



4. What do you think is Eve's biggest fear?
I think Eve is most afraid of losing Cory. I think she is more afraid of that happening than she is of spending time in jail or having to confess to Dru or Jack. I think that having her past thrown back in her face has made her think that she is living a life that is not really hers to live, and that she doesn't deserve it.


5. When the story about Genevieve's body came out, what would you have done if you were Eve? Just sat back and watched things unfold? Come forward? Would you tell Jack?
Like I said in previous posts, I would have been honest from the beginning. I definitely wouldn't have let it get this far. But at this point, I'd probably just sit back and watch it all unfold. I would have to be honest with Jack though. At least to get it off my own conscience and to let him know what they may be up against if her name ever gets mentioned. Tim wasn't concerned about her life and her safety when he involved her in the beginning, why should she worry about him now?

6. Do you think Eve should tell Jack and confess? Why?
Definitely. Jack is her husband and so he has a right to know. I don't believe in keeping secrets in a marriage, especially big ones like this. This is something that could potentially effect Jack and their children. It's only fair that he should know. If not for his sake, than at least so Eve can get it off her conscience and stop acting so strangely around him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails