Sunday, July 3, 2011

Potty Training - It Isn't For Whimps

As many of you with children over the age of three or four know, potty training is hard work! It is not something to be taken lightly. It will teach you a lot about your child and yourself. It will definitely keep you on your toes!

I am in the process of potty training Aiden. We originally started back in April, and after a few weeks with no sign of success in sight, I gave up. I convinced myself that he just wasn't ready. Looking back, I think it was me who wasn't ready.

I didn't realize what a responsibility it would be. I helped Jaime potty train Jenny when she was two, but at the time we weren't living together, so it wasn't my responsibility all of the time. My biggest downfall was that I wasn't consistent. I'd put him in underwear and then after he peed in them and I changed him (over and over again), I'd stick him in a Pull-Up and call it a day.

Obviously, we didn't get very far. He would go potty (only #1) when I would take him. But he had more accidents in his underwear than he went in the potty. He would tell me he needed to potty, but he'd wait until after he wet his pants. Of course, none of that is Aiden's fault, and it is a pretty normal part of potty training. I'm not sure what I expected, but potty training doesn't happen over night or even in a few days (or at least in my case it hasn't).

After about a month of giving up on potty training, I decided to start again. Given what I knew from my mistakes the first time, I had a game plan.

We started again about a week ago, and this time I feel like we are making real progress. Aiden is in underwear from the time he gets up until right before he goes to bed. When he sleeps he wears a Pull-Up. I also put a Pull-Up on him if I know we are going to be in the car for a long time, or if we are going somewhere where I won't be able to take him potty every 30 minutes or so.

We started out taking him potty every 30 minutes. He went almost every time, and wasn't having any accidents. After a few days of that, we bumped it up to every 45 minutes to an hour. He was still going almost every time, and only had one accident a day (most days no accidents at all).

A few nights ago, a few minutes after we put Aiden to bed, he got up and told us he needed to potty. We took him and he went, his Pull-Up was also dry. A few minutes after he went back to bed, he again told us he needed to go potty. Obviously he thought going potty was an excuse to get out of bed. Haha!

Other than that one time, he hasn't ever told me he has to go. He also hasn't gone #2 on the potty yet - which are mostly why he has accidents.

I can tell that he is "holding it" longer periods of time and he is starting to show signs of when he needs to go (potty dance, holding himself, etc.). He also tends to "hide" when he has to go #2.

We are only a week in and I think he is making a lot of progress. We aren't finished potty training by any means. In fact, it may be weeks or even months before we are done. I intend on hanging in there this time though. Aiden will be potty trained sooner or later (hopefully sooner), even if it gives me gray hair in the process!

.......

By the way, I am much too young to have gray hair! :-)
Published with Blogger-droid v1.7.2

2 comments:

  1. I'm stopping by from Jenna's comment challenge. Stay strong with the potty training. I always joked that potty training is definitely something people don't tell you about before you have children.My daughter was so easy to train but my son...not so much! It's tough but hang in there...he will do it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope your PTing journey is short and successful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails