Friday, January 14, 2011

Snow Days

We have really had some crazy weather this week! Sunday night it started snowing, and within about 30 minutes everything was covered! It was the first time I have ever seen it snow so quickly and cover everything like that. Even the streets and parking lots were covered in a couple inches of snow!


Since Aiden hasn't ever experienced snow like that before (and neither have I) we bundled him up and took him outside to see the snow. Yes, it was 10:00 at night. Yes, he should have been in bed. Yes, I know many of you think I'm crazy - and you're probably right. :) However, he enjoyed it and that's what counts!






The next morning though, things got worse. We got some freezing rain and sleet for a little while in the morning which created a layer of ice on top of the snow and also froze onto the streets. School had already been cancelled that day, so it didn't seem like too big of a deal at the time.

Aiden had been asking me all day if he could go outside and play in the snow. So, after hearing him ask approximately 45632 times (I overexagerate,  I know) we headed outside to play. I talked Jaime into building a snowman with him since he loved the Frosty the Snowman movie so much. We didn't have shovels, so we used dust pans instead. Also, I couldn't find buttons to use for the eyes and I didn't have carrots for the nose - so we had to improvise. We used Oreo mini's for the eyes, a stick for the nose, and Hershey Kisses for the mouth. I don't think it turned out too bad, and Aiden loved him!










Honestly, I really think Aiden thought he was going to come to life. He kept asking me where Frosty's hat was. Haha! He just kept standing in front of him saying, "Happy Birthday, Frosty!".



Now here we are on snow day #5. School has been closed all week, and the roads have been a disaster. A lot of people have been out of work most of the week, and those that have ventured out to work have been dealing with some horrible traffic problems. A lot of roads have been closed completely, while others have only had a few lanes open. There have also been a lot of people who have gotten stuck in the ice and have had to abandon their cars. Today the city of Atlanta asked that people move their abandoned cars from the streets so that the DOT could put down the gravel and salt mixture on the streets that they hadn't done yet.





I have only been out of the house once since Sunday night. To say that I am looking forward to getting out of the house again would be an understatement! I have watched so much TV in the past couple of days that I have no desire to watch TV at this point. I have caught up on every show on my DVR, read all the unread blog posts in my Google Reader, finished the first Harry Potter book, finished all the laundry, and cleaned the house from top to bottom. Who knew being so productive could be so boring?





They are saying the temperatures here will get up into the low 40's tomorrow - which is higher than they've been all week. Hopefully the rest of this ice will melt and I will finally be able to get out of the house. I can't wait for Spring! I'm ready to be able to go to the park with Aiden again and to be able to enjoy being outside. So, next September when I'm complaining about the heat and humidity and saying that I can't wait for cooler temperatures....someone PLEASE remind me that I can't stand winter and the cold!

1 comment:

  1. What super cute pictures! Your "Frosty" came out great! Here in NY, it's been nothing but snow for weeks now. At least the kids are having a ball. (the parents are getting a little grumpy.. lol)

    I found you blog through Lucy's blog hop and now I'm following. I hope you had a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails