Friday, December 10, 2010

Things You Never Forget

There are certain times of the year that your mind becomes filled with special memories from years gone by. The Christmas season is most definitely one of those times for me. Every year, when we are getting out our tree and ornaments, all of those memories start coming back.

Growing up, one of my most favorite Christmas traditions in my house was one that my brother and I used to fight over all the time. It was one that had to be changed everyday. It didn't hang on the tree, nor did it have lights. What it did have, however, was a little gray mouse who knew exactly how many days were left until Christmas (so long as you moved him to the correct spot everyday).


I can remember waking up each morning in the month of December, and running downstairs to "move the mouse" before my brother was awake and had the chance to move it. Sometimes I got there first, and other times I didn't. We were probably supposed to take turns each day, but I was a kid, I didn't remember being told that then and I sure don't remember that now! Haha.



Now, all these years later, we use the Christmas Mouse Calendar with Aiden and Jenny. They love it too! This is the first year that Aiden has really cared about it, and he still doesn't understand it. He just likes moving the mouse because he sees Jenny do it. So, I make them take turns over who will get to move it everyday. For now, it seems to be working. Although, I know that one of these Christmas', they will fight over moving it the way my brother and I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails